Chicken Pot Pie Skillet Pasta Recipe – quick and easy weeknight dinner idea! Pure comfort food and so much easier to make then a pie.
When it comes to comfort food, one of my family’s favorite dinners is chicken pot pie. But here is the thing: I am not a pie maker. I’ve said it before. I am too much of a perfectionist to attempt making a pretty crust. And the chicken pot pie? It has a double one. So yeah, not happening. But what I can do, is a skillet pasta version of the pie. Heck, yeah! Creamy, delicious dish with wide noodles, chicken, peas, sweet corn, carrots and green beans, all served with oyster crackers. Chicken Pot Pie Skillet Pasta is now one of those dinners that I can make in my sleep. It’s easy, it has all of the flavors of the classic and I can make it in 30 minutes.
Oh, and did I mention the BACON? Because there is bacon!
I had to add bacon! This dish was just calling for it. It adds one more flavor to the mix and who can say no to bacon. I know I can’t!
You can make this ahead of time, place in a casserole dish, cover and refrigerate. When ready, sprinkle with cheese or breadcrumbs OR BOTH and bake until bubbly. Done and done. Dinner on the table. Everybody loves it. 🙂
Busy weeknight dinner made easy!
You can serve this pasta with oyster crackers, like I did OR make one of my biscuit recipes. I will link them below! The fluffy drop biscuits are my very favorite (again, one of the easiest recipes ever!) or skip it all.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 slices of bacon chopped
- 8 oz .uncooked wide noodles
- 12 oz bag frozen vegetable mix (sweet peas carrots, green beans), thawed
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet corn
- 2 cups half and half or whole milk
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon Ranch seasoning mix optional
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Cook pasta according to instructions on the box. Drain, keep warm.
- In a large skillet, heat up olive oil. Add chopped bacon to skillet, cook about 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add chicken and cook until done, about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a mixing bowl, whisk together half and half (or whole milk) with cornstarch. Add Ranch mix (if using) and Italian seasoning.
- Add frozen vegetable mix and sweet corn to skillet with chicken. Cook until veggies are soft.
- Add cornstarch mixture and bring to boil, stirring often. Cook until the sauce thickens.
- Serve with oyster crackers or biscuits.