How to: Spanish Rice recipe – my favorite way to make spicy Spanish (or Mexican) rice from scratch! It’s so easy and the rice is full of flavor.
This recipe is what makes our taco nights rock! Last year, we decided that we should make our own Spanish rice for our Mexican dinners so we set out to experiment and make one that we will love. It had to be easy, perfectly cooked and spiced and of course, yummy. And here it is: our homemade, made from scratch with just a few ingredient Spanish rice.
Now all I need is to figure out how to make rockin’ refried beans. Ones that you know, don’t look like.. ahem. Yeah. 😀
There are a few tricks to making this rice (or any rice) work every time. My ultimate secret to a perfectly cooked, fluffy rice is to toast it up in melted butter. I used the same technique here, with the addition of olive oil, onions and garlic. This adds more flavor and let’s the veggies cook before adding liquids.
I also learned (and that’s my second secret to a perfect rice every time) that adding warm (or almost hot) tap water to toasted rice helps achieve the perfectly fluffy rice in the end. Just be careful, the mixture will be bubbling!
After that, it’s just tomato sauce and spices which of course you can customize to your likings. If you like your Spanish rice really spicy – amp up the chili powder. When everything is mixed well together in the pot, bring it to boil. Lower the heat to simmer, stir everything really well (make sure to loosen up any rice at the bottom), cover the pot with a lid and let it cook for about 15 minutes. No peeking! Every time you lift the lid, you let out the moisture the rice needs to cook. Keep the lid on and the heat low.
After 15 minutes, check the rice and fluff with a fork.
If you happen to make this recipe, let me know in the comments section or give me a shout-out on social media! I’d love that! 😀
The best homemade recipe for Spanish rice! Forget the box kind and make it in your own kitchen!
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup rice I used long grain
- 2 garlic cloves minced or grated
- 1/2 medium red onion chopped
- 1 cup warm tap water
- 1 cup tomato sauce one 8oz. can plus a little more
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter with olive oil in a medium pot.
- Add onions and garlic and stir together. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add rice and toast for about 3 to 4 minutes on medium heat. Stir constantly.
- Add water, tomato sauce and all spices. Stir well.
- Bring mixture to boil, stirring often. Make sure the rice doesn't stick to the bottom.
- Lower the heat to simmer, stir one more time, cover the pot and let cook for 15 minutes.
- Check rice, stir with a fork and remove from heat.
- Let sit uncovered for 10 minutes before serving.
How to turn this side into a full meal? Cook chicken breast (cut bite-size) in taco seasoning, 1 cup whole kernel corn, 1 can black beans (rinsed) and cook it all together. Add rice last. Top with cheddar cheese, chopped fresh Roma tomatoes, avocados and dollops of sour cream. Dinner is served! 😀