20-Minute Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe– quick, easy and filling soup packed with beans, chicken, tomatoes and corn! Top it with tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream and avocado!
This recipe is another attempt of mine to bring more colors to your life. It is a known fact that colorful food makes the soul happy! And as we discussed before, if you are sick of winter and the dull, cloudy days (unless you live in a all-year-long-sunshine place, lucky you! ) – surround yourself with colors. Anything works, from clothes, home decor, makeup, even stationery to food. I can’t have a day without my vibrant green smoothie and now this enchilada soup. It’s rich in color and flavor. So crazy good – you will end up making it over and over.
Also, this is a 20-minute (start to finish) weeknight dinner idea that everyone will love. Make a double batch to freeze for busy days!
If you are a regular reader of Crunchy Creamy Sweet, you know that I like to give you options when it comes to the dishes we share here. Same goes with this soup. We have three children that won’t eat spicy food. Totally normal. Many times, I will divide the soup in half and add more spices to ours and keep it mild for the kiddos (unless they are having something else for dinner that day). To add more kick, use more chili powder or even add a teaspoon of adobo sauce. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes while you are at it! Aside from that, the soup is chunky and very satisfying. Again, if you love black beans in your soup – use two cans. My family prefers it with just one.
This recipe uses already cooked chicken. I tend to cook a lot of chicken (roast it in the oven or cook in slow cooker) and divide into ziploc bags to use through out the week. If you don’t have a cooked chicken on hand, you can cut raw chicken breast (skinless boneless) into bite size pieces and cook them in a little bit of olive oil in the stock pot first, remove from the pot, and then cook the veggies (onion and garlic).
Quick and easy chicken soup that tastes like enchiladas! Loaded with veggies, this soup is perfect served with cheese and crunchy tortilla chips.
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast shredded or cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1.25 cup enchilada sauce 1 10oz. can
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained, 14oz.
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- 15 oz can whole kernel corn drained
- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1.5 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- shredded cheddar cheese sour cream, chopped avocados, tortilla strips - for topping
- Heat up 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a stock pot. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until soft.
- Add cooked chicken, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, diced chiles and stir together.
- Add chicken stock, enchilada sauce, cumin, salt, pepper and chili powder. Stir together.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Serve topped with shredded cheddar cheese, dollop of sour cream, chopped avocados and tortilla strips.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!