Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies – classic holiday cookie that everyone loves! No special ingredients and no chilling the dough required!
CHEWY GINGER MOLASSES COOKIES
One of my favorite things of the holiday season is baking cookies. Ginger cookies are one of my favorites! I love to bake them, share them and eat them. Molasses and ginger combo to me is a classic one when it comes to holiday cookies. The smell and the taste of it make me so happy and excited for Christmas!
These chewy ginger molasses cookies are a must on our holiday cookie platter. Along side of my Red Velvet Crinkle cookies and soft and chewy M&M chocolate chip cookies. Together they make a fantastic display of treats or a perfect set to give to family and friends.
How to make Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies?
These cookies are chewy, perfectly spiced with ginger, cloves and cinnamon and have a slight crunch from the sugar coating. I scooped the dough with my favorite OXO cookie scoop in size medium and baked them on Silpat baking mat, as it assures even baking of each cookie. The dough is slightly sticky, so I scoop it and place it directly in the bowl with sugar. Roll it few times and it’s much easier to handle and roll into a perfect ball in your hands. Place cookies 2″ apart on a sheet so they have the room to spread. If you feel like having even more fun, you can dip the cookies in white chocolate and add festive sprinkles! Sprinkles are always a good idea when it comes to cookies! The more festive – the better!
Why should I try this recipe?
I love that these cookies are so easy to make. There is no need to chill the dough (although you can and it will produce slightly thicker cookies) which means you can enjoy a stack of these babies in 30 minutes from start to finish. When you want cookies – you want them now!
What do Molasses Cookies taste like?
The dark molasses gives these cookies a deep, rich flavor that will remind you of gingerbread cake or cookies.
MORE COOKIE RECIPES:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!
CHEWY GINGER MOLASSES COOKIES RECIPE:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature, 12 tablespoons
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses I used Grandma's molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with Silpat baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter for 30 seconds with electric mixer. Add sugar and beat for 3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and molasses and beat on medium low speed just until combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Gradually add to the sugar molasses mixture and beat on low until combined.
- Place 1/4 cup of sugar in a shallow bowl. Scoop cookie dough with a medium size (1 and 1/2 tablespoons) cookie scoop and place directly on the sugar. Roll few times and then form into a ball in your hands. Place on a cookie sheet, leaving about 2" of space between cookies.
- Bake cookies for 9 to 11 minutes (10 minutes was the magic number for me). Remove from oven and let cool 2 minutes on the sheet. Transfer cookies to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an air-tight container for up to a week.
The calorie count is for 4 cookies per person.