Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread – sweet and moist chocolate bread that will quickly become your favorite way to use up the zucchini! Super easy to make and absolutely delicious!
Yes, it’s zucchini yet again. Please, don’t say that you want all things pumpkin already! I am holding onto the summer food for a bit longer. And to convince you – I am bringing a chocolate treat. Because chocolate always wins!
This double chocolate bread has two cups of shredded zucchini, a cup of chocolate chips and tastes just like brownies! How can you say no?!
If you remember the Apple Zucchini Muffins that I shared here recently, you know that I bought large zucchini at Aldi’s. Just one of them made three cups shredded. I used one for the muffins and the remaining two for this bread. If you have large zucchini, I highly recommend using it for both recipes. You can freeze the muffins and the bread for up to 3 months or enjoy freshly-baked. Either way, you will love them!
I enjoyed thick slices of this fantastic bread with my morning coffee. It also helps me survive our first days back to homeschool. The kids are tempted to sneak out and go run outside. Especially recently, when the weather is absolutely gorgeous. No unbearable heat, just comfortable warm, slightly breezy days. It’s one of those things that I will miss about the summer for sure. It makes me want to soak up the last days and pretend I don’t see all the pumpkin recipes on Pinterest! 🙂
- 1.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar white
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups shredded zucchini moisture squeezed out (see note)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 9" x 5" loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar). Add zucchini and stir to coat. Add chocolate chips and stir again.
- In another mixing bowls, whisk together the wet ingredients (buttermilk, oil and egg). Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir it all together with a wooden spoon or a spatula. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes OR until a toothpick inserted in few places in the bread comes out clean.
- Cool the bread in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan onto a cooling rack or a cutting board. Cool completely before slicing.
It is very important to squeeze as much moisture from the shredded zucchini and apple as possible. To do so, place shredded zucchini on a stack of two paper towels and squeeze in your hands over the sink. You can use a colander with small holes but the paper towel method works the best.
Q: Are you still enjoying cooking or baking with zucchini? Did you have a chance to freeze some of it?
If you enjoy this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet or #crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!