Apple Zucchini Muffins – soft and fluffy muffins with zucchini and apple. Perfect for lunch boxes or as an after-school snack!
Every time I make muffins, I am amazed at how quickly the whole dozen can be inhaled by my kiddos. They love my jumbo chocolate chip muffins as much as the Nutella stuffed pumpkin muffins. I knew these Apple Zucchini ones will be a great hit as soon as the came out of the oven. They smelled so good and looked fantastic!
What I didn’t expect was to see my Hubby scarfing down one after another. Baked goods with zucchini are not his jam so I didn’t even try to sell him on them. I just asked him to take one bite. He ate two in no time and requested the third one to be saved for later. I say that makes these babies quite the muffin success!
HOW TO BAKE WITH ZUCCHINI
Tip for success: It is important to squeeze the moisture out of both, zucchini and apple, so the muffins will bake evenly and won’t sink. I recommend squeezing the zucchini and apple in paper towels. The colander doesn’t do as good job here. I bought large zucchini at Aldi’s and one shredded zucchini equaled 3 cups. I used one cup for these muffins and placed the rest in a container with lid and refrigerated for the next day (I used the remaining two cups in bread – recipe coming soon!).
They melt in your mouth! The apple and zucchini is a great combo and makes these a perfect addition to lunch boxes or as an after-school snack. They were a huge hit with my kids and I have a feeling, they will be with others. Besides, they are extremely easy to make and you can have them done in under 30 minutes. The apple and zucchini makes them softer than maybe regular muffins. They are moist and fluffy, which contributes to the melt-in-your-mouth factor.
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
SHARE ON FACEBOOK.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded zucchini see note
- 1 cup shredded apple (one medium apple I used gala)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray with a non-stick baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, soda, sugar and salt).
- Add shredded zucchini and apple. Stir to coat with the dry ingredients.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together buttermilk, vanilla, oil and egg.
- Add to the dry ingredients and stir in with a spatula or a wooden spoon. Do not overmix. Lumpy batter is okay.
- Using a regular ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into the muffin pan, filling one scoop per muffin. You may have two scoops of batter left in your bowl so either make two more muffins, or divide the batter evenly among filled cups.
- Bake muffins in 400 degrees F for 5 minutes. Without opening the oven door, lower the temperature to 375 degrees F and continue baking for 12 minutes. Check the muffins with a toothpick or a dry spaghetti noodle to see if done baking. If the muffins are too pale on top, add two more minutes of baking. They should have golden brown edges and golden tops.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove onto a cooling rack, plate or cutting board.
It is very important to squeeze as much moisture from the shredded zucchini and apple as possible. To do so, place shredded zucchini and apple on a stack of two paper towels and squeeze in your hands over the sink. You can use a colander with small holes but the paper towel method works the best.
If you like this recipe and happen to make it, snap a photo and share it on Instagram! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet or #crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!