One Pot Pasta with Sausage and Beet Greens – quick and easy pasta for busy weeknights!
This recipe is reason 4657838 why I have the best readers ever. Not only I had and amazing response to my recent personal story blog post, not only I shared this crazy idea of adding raw beets to your smoothie BUT! You guys read it, you left comments and you tried the smoothie! And when I asked what should I do with the greens – so many of you responded on the post and on my social media with your suggestions. THANK YOU!
I read all of them and as soon as I got a new batch of beets for our daily smoothies – I set out to experiment with the greens. I buy organic beets and they are so big and the greens are so full and long! It seems like such a waste to throw them away. I needed ideas and you guys shared yours with me. So many of you use them just like spinach and that was a light-bulb moment for me.
So today’s recipe is the result.
Saucy pasta with sausage and green beets. All cooked together in one pot in just 20 minutes. It’s hearty, satisfying, absolutely delicious, gluten-free (if you use gluten-free pasta) and kid-approved. A total winner!!
One pot dinners are such time savers but for me they are also a sanity savers. I had such a crazy busy week but thanks to my go-to pasta dishes and slow-cooker meals, dinner time didn’t suffer. It was a breeze!
One Pot Pasta with Sausage and Beet Greens - quick and easy pasta for busy weeknights!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 Polish or smoked sausages sliced
- beet greens from two large beets washed, chopped
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup and 1/2 chicken stock or water
- 3 cups bowtie pasta uncooked
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over a medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and sausage and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add beet greens and saute, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chicken stock or water and dry pasta.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is cooked.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
You can use chicken in place of sausage or use beans for a meatless version.
If you make one of my recipes, tag me @crunchycreamysweet or #crunchycreamysweetrecipes I would love to see what’s happening in your kitchen! See you there!