Lemon Cream Cheese Crumb Cake – fluffy lemon cake with a creamy cheesecake layer and a crumb topping.
You may already know, that when it comes to crumb cakes or coffee cakes, I have high standards. My Best Apple Crumb Cake is the perfect example. It has the thickest crumb topping layer you have ever seen and drizzled with caramel sauce, makes for a fabulous treat. My Lemon Blueberry Crumb Cake uses a shortcut (a pie filling) and makes for a gorgeous and scrumptious dessert. By the way – coffee cakes do not have actual coffee in them, they are just called that way as they are usually served along with a cup of coffee in the afternoon.
LEMON CRUMB CAKE
This Lemon Crumb Cake is easy and delicious. The creamy cheesecake layer creates a great contrast with the crumb topping. It’s one of my favorite Spring and Summer desserts!
CAKE AND CHEESECAKE IN ONE
The idea of combining a crumb cake and cheesecake into one glorious dessert – best ever! This cake is crazy delicious! The lemon cake layer is soft and fluffy, the cheesecake layer is creamy with a nice lemon flavor and the crumb topping adds crunch and sweetness. This cake has three layers of texture and flavor yet is so easy to make, you won’t really need a whole afternoon to make it. The whole thing comes together in one hour so you can enjoy a good piece of it with a cup of tea or coffee on a lazy afternoon.
LEMON CREAM CHEESE CRUMB CAKE RECIPE:
- 8 oz . brick of cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13" x 9" baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients ( four, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt).
- In another mixing bowl, whisk the wet ingredients (buttermilk, vanilla, eggs, oil, lemon zest and lemon juice).
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Spread the cake layer in the prepared pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until creamy.
- Add vanilla, sugar and zest and mix in well.
- Add egg and mix in well.
- Drop spoonfuls of the cheesecake batter on the cake layer and gently spread with the back of the spoon. Try to keep it about 1/4" away from the edge.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir with a fork melted butter, sugar, salt and flour. Stir until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over the cream cheese layer.
- Bake the cake for 33 to 37 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown, the crumb topping is golden and the cream cheese layer looks slightly puffed up. It will go down as the cake cools.
- Cool the cake completely in the pan before serving.
You will need 1 whole lemon for this recipe. I love lemon desserts so I always use the zest from the whole lemon. In this recipe it's used in the cake layer as well as the cheesecake layer.