Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup – packed with flavor soup that takes minimal prep! So good, it’s bound to become a family favorite!
Recently, my slow cooker has been getting quite the work out. It’s on almost every day. Either it’s a soup that we have for lunch or something cheesy and meaty for dinner. It’s the season! The season for using your slow cooker to the max. Honestly, I use it very often during summer so I don’t have to turn the oven on.
With all of the dinners that have been coming out of my slow cooker, I can’t believe this is the first one I am sharing here, on the blog! I promise to share more!
This soup is one of our favorite! Especially for my Hubby, since there is bacon involved. Every time, I cook bacon he will come to the kitchen to see what’s being made. He loves bacon!
This Baked Potato Soup starts with bacon cooked in a saucepan. Then the thickening mixture is added and cooked in the bacon fat, to transfer all of the meaty flavors into the final soup. After that, all you need to do it throw everything into your slow cooker and let it cook for 6 hours on low setting (or 4 on high).
Topped with cheddar, green onions and more bacon – this soup is a serious comfort food. It has a ton of flavor since we make the base on bacon.
This soup is perfect, since the days are just going to get colder. Hot soup is always great to come home to! Especially one that’s packed with flavor!
- 3 slices bacon chopped
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 lbs russet potatoes peeled, washed, chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- green onions chopped (for garnish)
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crispy. Transfer cooked bacon pieces onto a paper towel lined plate. Cool. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Into the pan with bacon grease, add butter, garlic and onion and cook until veggies are soft.
- Sprinkle flour over the veggies and stir it in. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Slowly drizzle chicken stock into the saucepan, whisking constantly. The mixture should thicken up.
- Add milk and cook until thickened.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Place potatoes in the slow cooker.
- Add stock and water.
- Add the veggie mixture from the saucepan.
- Cover and set the slow cooker on low for 6 hour or high for 4 hours.
- Serve in a bowl, topped with shredded cheese, bacon pieces and green onions.