The Best Apple Crumb Cake – the apple crumb cake of your dreams! With tons of apples and the best crumb topping ever!
What is the best part of a crumb cake?
Crumb topping! I know you agree, because you told me so! One of the most popular and most loved recipes on my blog is my Coffee Cake Muffins. All because of the crumb topping! You left comments and messages that it’s your favorite part and I couldn’t agree more. So often you have a crumb cake and just wish there was less cake in it and more (much, much more!) of the crumb topping.
I set out to make it all happen! My goal: make a crumb cake with good amount of cake but the best amount of crumb topping. The BEST crumb cake in the world!
Result: mission accomplished!
HOW TO MAKE APPLE CRUMB CAKE?
It took me three tries to get this cake just like I wanted. And it is glorious! You can actually taste the apples and the cake doesn’t overwhelm. Before arranging the apple slices over the batter, I toss them gently in sugar, cinnamon and apple cider vinegar. It helps them cook perfectly between the layers of the cake and the topping. Next, layer the apple slices over the cake batter. Sprinkle crumb topping on top and bake!
HOW TO MAKE A CRUMB TOPPING?
If you look at my recipe, you will notice that I use melted butter in making my crumb topping. It may sound strange since most recipes for desserts with crumb topping call for very cold butter that gets cut into the flour-sugar mixture. In that case, if your butter is not perfectly cold, it can melt the whole topping over your cake or muffins. Using melted butter prevents this possibility. This recipe if foolproof! I always make crumb topping with melted butter, in bars or muffins, and it always works. The crumb topping here is really shining!
It comes out of the oven and takes your breath away! It’s truly gorgeous! Look at those mountains of the crumb topping!
This cake is perfect for fall gatherings or a Thanksgiving dinner. It’s gorgeous and absolutely delicious!
HOW TO SERVE CRUMB CAKE?
I highly recommend drizzling caramel sauce over each slice just before serving. It makes it that much more amazing. Try my Microwave Caramel Sauce – it’s the easiest and the best caramel sauce ever! You can make it while the cake cools! You can also top it with a scoop of delicious sweet vanilla ice cream.
This cake was a huge hit in our family! Both kids and adults absolutely loved it! What makes me super happy is that my Hubby (who as you may know does not care for sweets) raved about this cake! He said it was the best apple cake he has ever had! Now you know why I call it The Best Apple Crumb Cake. 🙂
If you are not into crumb topping, you may like my Cinnamon Apple Cake recipe. It’s soft, fluffy, has a layer of spiced brown sugar apples cooked in a skillet. Just a dusting of powdered sugar and it’s ready to be devoured.
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
SHARE ON FACEBOOK
–>> Follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram for latest recipe updates!
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
BEST APPLE CRUMB CAKE RECIPE
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons of milk
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 to 3 medium apples washed, peeled, cored and sliced ( I used Red Delicious and Golden Delicious)
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Grease and flour an 8" round springform pan. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together both sugars, cinnamon, salt and flour. Add melted butter and fluff with fork until mixtures creates crumbs. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In a large measuring cup, mix together milk, vanilla, oil and egg. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon. Do not over mix. Few lumps in the batter are okay.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, toss together apple slices with two tablespoons of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and the apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Arrange apple slices over the batter.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over the apples covering completely.
- Bake the cake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
- Let cool completely in the pan.
- Transfer onto a serving plate or stand. Slice and serve.
- Keep in a covered container for up to 4 days.
I highly recommend drizzling caramel sauce over each slice just before serving. It makes it that much more amazing. Try my Microwave Caramel Sauce - it's the easiest and the best caramel sauce ever! You can make it while the cake cools! You can also top it with a scoop of delicious sweet vanilla ice cream.
Apple Pie Crumb Bars – quick and easy dessert bars that taste just like apple pie! Perfect served with vanilla ice cream.
Cinnamon Apple Cake – no crumb topping but the same soft and fluffy cake with a layer of sweet apples.
Caramel Apple Cheesecake – one decadent dessert for the holidays! Sweet and creamy cheesecake with fried cinnamon apples and drizzle of caramel sauce. Each bite is amazing!
The Best Baked Apples – classic fall dessert! Baked apples with cinnamon, brown sugar and oat filling.
Caramel Apple Dip – quick and easy cheesecake dip with caramel sauce. Perfect served with apple slices.
Microwave Caramel Sauce – my easy caramel sauce made in the microwave. Perfect for drizzling over ice cream, pies or cookie bars.
Apple Bundt Cake – beautiful bundt cake for fall gatherings and parties. Filled with chunks of apples and drizzled with caramel glaze and chopped pecans.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet or #crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!