Glazed Lemon Muffins – fluffy muffins with fresh notes of citrus!
Recently, I realized that I complain too much. Be it weather (cold, wind), lighting (never enough for my photos), time (never enough to get everything done), social media (Facebook doesn’t like me), failed recipes (these really drive me crazy), running out of my favorite chocolate (oh the horror!), my hair (I am on a constant journey to tame them and like them) and so many others.
I may have excuses for all of these (hello? snow in the end of March?) but I think it’s enough. I want to change it. It doesn’t do anything for me to complain. I just bring myself down and surround myself with negative energy.
So when I saw on some other blog (forgive me but I don’t remember which one, I read so many blogs..) about creating a gratitude journal, I thought that it was a fun idea. The idea is to write down everyday the little things that were good that day. Like the morning sunshine, fresh cup of coffee with my Hubby, flower buds found on a walking trail, watching my son playing with Hot Wheels, listening to my oldest daughter reading to her sister, a new idea for a chocolate treat.
So I started the journal two days ago and I already feel better. I am sure there will be days when things just go crazy (like the past weekend) but the goal is to find little things that make me happy.
Perfect muffins with fresh citrus notes definitely make me happy. Especially if I can have one in the morning with my coffee. These muffins are so fluffy that you could almost call them cakes, but the top is slightly crunchy and perfect for a glaze. There is nothing easier than whisking the dry ingredients together, whisking the wet ingredients together and then combining it all with a few stirs of a spoon.
These muffins are like little sun rays. They are fresh, bright and energizing. I hope they will make you happy too!
Craving more? Check out our Bakery Style Blueberry Muffins recipe!
- for the muffins:
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp and 1/2 baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c buttermilk or sour milk see note
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 c vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 2 tsp to 3 lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners or grease lightly the muffin cups. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Whisk in the lemon zest. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together buttermilk/sour milk, vanilla, egg and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir in with a wooden spoon until well combined. DO not overmix. Slightly lumpy batter is okay.
- Scoop the batter with an ice cream scoop onto the prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 400 degrees F. Without opening the oven, lower the temperature to 375 degrees and bake for 14 to 17 more minutes, or until the toothpick inserted into each muffin comes out clean and the tops are golden.
- Cool muffins completely before glazing.
- Sift the powdered sugar into a medium mixing bowl. This will prevent lumps in the glaze.
- Add lemon juice and whisk until smooth and thick. The glaze should be slightly runny.
- Glaze muffins over a cooling rack set on a baking sheet. Let the muffins sit until the glaze sets.
I never buy buttermilk. Instead I always make sour milk by combining whole or 2% milk with acid, like lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. Simply pour 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (works great for these muffins) and add as much milk as needed to make 1 cup of sour milk. Stir and let sit 5 minutes until the milk curdles.
Recipe source: CrunchyCreamySweet.com
Don’t forget to enter our giveaway! Gorgeous leather wrap bracelets are up for grabs!