Pepper Jack Mac and Cheese – creamy macaroni with Pepper Jack sauce! Classic dish that everyone loves, with a little kick.
PEPPER JACK MAC AND CHEESE
When you think classic comfort food, mac and cheese is most likely to be on top of the list. I make my Instant Pot Mac and Cheese almost every week. Make it homemade, with a creamy cheese sauce and a little bit of kick from the Pepper Jack cheese and jalapenos and sprinkle with a crunchy topping – you just took the mac and cheese to a whole new level. Another favorite is my Queso Mac and Cheese with Bacon. So good!!
It all starts with a white sauce base that every home cook needs to know how to make. Once you master this sauce – you will be using it in many dishes. It’s super easy but there is a secret to it.
HOW TO MAKE PEPPER JACK MAC AND CHEESE?
It’s good to have all the ingredients ready and close to the stove.
- Melt the butter in the skillet, then add the flour. It will quickly absorb the butter and start to bubble. Cook it for 30 to 40 seconds.
- Next (and this is the secret) you add the milk, 1/4 of a cup at a time, SLOWLY drizzling it into the flour mixture. Whisk until the mixture thickens. Repeat until you use all the milk.
- Now it’s time to add the cheese and stir it all up until the cheese melts into the milk mixture. Season to taste.
- You just made a creamy cheese sauce! At this point you can add anything you would like in your mac and cheese. Veggies, meat – anything goes!
- Stir it all up to coat everything in the sauce.
- Your mac and cheese is ready! I added a crunchy topping just for fun and texture. The jalapeno slices were my Hubby’s request. 🙂
MORE MAC AND CHEESE RECIPES:
PEPPER JACK MAC AND CHEESE RECIPE:
- 4 oz macaroni pasta uncooked
- 1.5 Tbsp unsalted or salted butter
- 1.5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1.5 c whole milk
- 1.5 c grated Pepper Jack cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp crushed red peppers
- 3 Tbsp salted butter
- 1/4 c breadcrumbs
- 3/4 c crushed tortilla chips
- slices jalapeno
- Cook macaroni according to the instructions on the package. Drain, let sit covered.
- In a large skillet (I used 11" cast iron skillet), melt butter.
- Add flour and whisk it in. Cook for 30 to 40 seconds on medium heat, until the flour absorbs the butter and bubbles up.
- Gradually add milk, slowly pouring 1/4 of a cup at a time, letting the sauce thicken after each addition. Repeat until all milk is added.
- Add cheese and stir in with a wooden spoon until the cheese is melted.
- Add macaroni and stir in until all macaroni is coated with creamy cheese sauce.
- Add salt, pepper and crushed red peppers.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large mixing cup, stir together melted butter, breadcrumbs and crushed tortilla chips. Sprinkle over the mac and cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the edges start to bubble.
- Garnish with jalapeno slices.
- Let sit 5 minutes.
Recipe source: CrunchyCreamySweet.com