Chocolate cherry cake – romantic dessert for chocoholics. Rich, chocolate cake filled with juicy cherries is the perfect summer dessert!
This cake is the definition of a perfect flavor combination. I think by now it’s safe to say that cherries and chocolate are my new favorite combo. It was clear to me, I had to make it into a cake.
This cake is a go between brownies and a simple chocolate cake. Yet it’s not just a cake. It’s moist, it’s full of chocolate pieces and sweet dark cherries.
Heaven in your mouth!!
These gorgeous cherries are like sweet jewels sitting in a rich chocolate crown. One of my favorite desserts of late for sure. And you know what else? My Hubby totally loves it too! I expected him to say it’s too rich for his taste but every time he had a piece, he would say how great it is! 🙂
I topped it with Rum Brown Sugar Greek Yogurt from this recipe and additional fresh cherries.
Chocolate cherry cake - romantic dessert for chocoholics. Rich, chocolate cake filled with juicy cherries is the perfect summer dessert!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly grease 9" springform pan. Line with parchment paper. Grease and flour the paper. (You can also use 9" square pan).
- Whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, soda, baking powder and salt). Set aside.
- Beat sugar and butter to light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla. Beat 1 min.
- Add dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk.
- Mix until just combined.
- Pour into pan. Sprinkle with chocolate.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Arrange cherry halves on top of the cake. Bake 15 more minutes (cake should not wiggle in the center).
- Cool completely.
- Top with Rum Brown Sugar Greek Yogurt and fresh cherries.