Two things: it’s still hot and it’s time for our third Blue Ribbon Challenge!!
I have been teased by Mother Nature with cooler weather. So much that I started making soups, baking homemade bread and putting away our summer clothes. And BAM! Just like that we are back to upper 90’s this week. Sigh…
Enter citrus granita. This month’s theme will help you bid farewell to summer in style. And cool you down this Memorial Day weekend. It’s going to be hot!
This is such a simple and refreshing treat. You can make it from pretty much anything. Any fruit or even coffee! Just mix and freeze. Doesn’t get any better than that. Okay, maybe if chocolate was involved. But let’s leave that for another day. Today is about citrus and ice. So grab a couple of oranges, zest them, juice them and mix with sugar and water. Boil for few minutes and freeze in a glass or metal baking dish. I knew this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens would be a winner. We can’t get enough of this frozen deliciousness! I just wish I added some lime to it. Maybe next time.
- 2 oranges
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- 1 c water
- orange zest optional
- Zest both oranges and set the zest a side.
- Juice oranges. Discard leftovers.
- Pour juice into a medium saucepan, add lemon juice, sugar and water. Stir.
- Bring to boil. Cook for 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Pour into a glass or metal baking dish.
- Let sit on the counter for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Place in the freezer.
- Freeze for 2 - 4 hours, scraping the surface with a fork every 30 minutes.
- Scoop into serving dishes and serve immediately.
Feel free to link up you granita posts. Even if it’s an old one. The linky party will be open till midnight on Friday. Please, leave your votes in the comments section.The winner will be announced on Saturday.