The Best Apple Crumb Cake – the apple crumb cake of your dreams! With tons of apples and the best crumb topping ever! Check out the comments below from our readers who made this cake and love it!
Read the whole story behind this recipe and why I decided to make the crumb topping to thick! For the original post, click HERE.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CRUNCHY CREAMY SWEET NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS RIGHT INTO YOUR INBOX!
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
SHARE ON FACEBOOK
HOW TO MAKE APPLE CRUMB CAKE
It took me three tries to get this cake just like I wanted. And it is glorious! You can actually taste the apples and the cake doesn’t overwhelm. Before arranging the apple slices over the batter, I toss them gently in sugar, cinnamon and apple cider vinegar. It helps them cook perfectly between the layers of the cake and the topping.
HOW TO MAKE A CRUMB TOPPING
The crumb topping here is really shining!
If you look at my recipe, you will notice that I use melted butter in making my crumb topping. It may sound strange since most recipes for desserts with crumb topping call for very cold butter that gets cut into the flour-sugar mixture. In that case, if your butter is not perfectly cold, it can melt the whole topping over your cake or muffins. Using melted butter prevents this possibility. This recipe if foolproof! I always make crumb topping with melted butter, in bars or muffins, and it always works.
I highly recommend drizzling caramel sauce over each slice just before serving. It makes it that much more amazing. Try my Microwave Caramel Sauce – it’s the easiest and the best caramel sauce ever! You can make it while the cake cools!
Apple Pie Crumb Bars – quick and easy dessert bars that taste just like apple pie! Perfect served with vanilla ice cream.
Caramel Apple Cheesecake – one decadent dessert for the holidays! Sweet and creamy cheesecake with fried cinnamon apples and drizzle of caramel sauce. Each bite is amazing!
The Best Baked Apples – classic fall dessert! Baked apples with cinnamon, brown sugar and oat filling.
Caramel Apple Dip – quick and easy cheesecake dip with caramel sauce. Perfect served with apple slices.
Microwave Caramel Sauce – my easy caramel sauce made in the microwave. Perfect for drizzling over ice cream, pies or cookie bars.
Apple Bundt Cake – beautiful bundt cake for fall gatherings and parties. Filled with chunks of apples and drizzled with caramel glaze and chopped pecans.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons of milk
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 to 3 medium apples washed, peeled, cored and sliced ( I used Red Delicious and Golden Delicious)
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Grease and flour an 8" round springform pan. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together both sugars, cinnamon, salt and flour. Add melted butter and fluff with fork until mixtures creates crumbs. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In a large measuring cup, mix together milk, vanilla, oil and egg. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon. Do not over mix. Few lumps in the batter are okay.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, toss together apple slices with two tablespoons of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and the apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Arrange apple slices over the batter.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over the apples covering completely.
- Bake the cake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
- Let cool completely in the pan.
- Transfer onto a serving plate or stand. Slice and serve.
- Keep in a covered container for up to 4 days.