Mashed Potato Casserole Recipe – the best creamy mashed potatoes baked into cheesy casserole with bacon! Great made ahead as well!
Let’s take boring out of mashed potatoes and turn them into one delicious side dish casserole! I took my best creamy mashed potatoes, stirred in freshly grated cheddar cheese, garlic powder and fresh chopped parsley and baked the mixture in a casserole dish. Topped with crispy bacon and more parsley, this potato bake was gone in a flash!
Another favorite recipe of mine is for the Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes. They always come out perfectly soft and fluffy and are delicious topped with sour cream, cheddar and bacon! Looking at all of potato recipes I shared on my blog, I think it’s safe to say that these two ingredients happen to be my two toppings for potatoes that I always reach for.
Watch our video to see how to make this dish:
If you need more ways to use leftover mashed potatoes, I highly recommend my recipe for mashed potato cakes (with cheddar, of course!). They are easy and always a hit with everyone!
My favorite way to make mashed potatoes is to use a butter, sour cream and half and half mixture. They are creamy with just the right amount of tang from the sour cream. Half and half is better than just milk yet not as heavy as whipping cream. Also, for the best texture, I recommend using hand mixer to whip the potatoes up. Traditional masher works great too but I always use the mixer.
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
CLICK HERE TO SHARE ON FACEBOOK.
- 4 lbs russet potatoes peeled, diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup sour cream I used full-fat
- 1 and 3/4 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 1 and 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp heaping, fresh chopped parsley
- 3 slices bacon cooked to crispy, chopped
- more parsley for garnish
- Place potatoes in a large pot and add enough water to cover. Cook until soft. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add butter, half and half and sour cream. Whip using hand mixer.
- Add 1 cup cheddar cheese, garlic powder, pepper and parsley. Stir well.
- Transfer mixture into buttered 13" x 9" casserole dish. Spread evenly. Top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake casserole for 35 to 38 minutes. The edges will be golden brown.
- Garnish with chopped bacon and parsley.
To make ahead of time: cover casserole dish with mashed potatoes mixture and store in fridge for up to 2 days. Top with shredded cheddar just before baking.
Other delicious potato recipes:
Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes from the Food Charlatan
Garlic Ranch Mashed Potatoes from Spend with Pennies
Freezer Mashed Potatoes from Southern Plate