Also, since it’s been a while since I made shortbread cookies – they were placed on the list too. Then it hit us – why not combine the two and make irresistible shortbread bites Muddy Buddy style!
Today, I am partnering with Crisco® to bring you this recipe. I always use Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening in my shortbread recipe, taught by my grandmother. Shortening is a perfect alternative to butter and contains 50% less saturated fat and zero grams trans fat per serving. I absolutely love that now I can get it in a stick form! Each stick equals one cup and since it’s marked on the package, it’s easy to cut off the needed amount. Using shortening in recipes, results in tender and light in texture in baked goods.
To make these little bites, all you need is to throw all of the ingredients into a food processor and process until the dough resembles coarse crumbs. With your hands, form it into a 8″ by 5″ rectangle, freeze for 15 minutes, cut into little squares and bake. After they cool, coat the bites in melted milk chocolate and toss in powdered sugar. You will notice that there is not much sugar in the dough itself. It is perfect since the bites will be coated in milk chocolate and powdered sugar.
To learn more about Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening and where to find the baking sticks, please visit the brand website HERE. Also, follow Crisco® on Facebook and Pinterest for more recipes and inspiration.
Just look at this shortbread perfection! These little bites simply melt in your mouth!
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! It’s perfect to be a part of your holiday dessert table, great to wrap and gift to friends and family and enjoy on a snowy day, while watching your favorite Christmas movies!
- 1 cup and 1/4 all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- Place flour, sugar and salt in a bowl of a food processor. Process for 5 seconds.
- Add butter and shortening and process until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs and starts to come together.
- Place mixture on a sheet of parchment paper. With your hands, bring the mixture together into a disk. Roll out into a 8" by 5" rectangle. Place parchment paper with dough and place in freezer for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- When ready, cut the shortbread in half and then each half into about 1/2" squares. Bake one half at a time. Place shortbread bites onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving about 1/2 inch space between them. Bake for 18 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening until smooth.
- Place powdered sugar in a plastic gallon-sized bag and set aside.
- Place cooled shortbread bites in a mixing bowl. Pour chocolate over bites. Toss gently to coat.
- Place coated bites in a plastic gallon-sized bag with powdered sugar, close the bag and toss gently to coat.
- Place coated bites in a container, ready to serve. Store in an air-tight container.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!
Be sure to visit the Crisco Brand Page on sheknowsmedia.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!