Homemade Sloppy Joes recipe – the best Sloppy Joes made from scratch with just a few simple ingredients! Great with ground beef, ground turkey and even chicken!
If you notice all of the homemade sauces recipes here on my blog, you will notice a pattern. I love to make the staples we all buy in cans and just open and pour into the pan. I enjoy discovering the flavor layers and recreating them from scratch. In this case, the sauce is a blend of peppers and tomatoes with addition of spices. After trying this recipe, you will never go back to a store bought Sloppy Joe sauce!
This dish starts with just a few steps that quite possibly will change the way you are cooking ground meat (beef or turkey or even chicken). The secret to making every meal that calls for ground meat flavorful is to saute garlic and onion in olive oil, then adding the meat and infusing it with the flavors. That’s my favorite base. After that you add the sauce made in 5 minutes in a blender and simmer everything together. Fresh peppers make this sauce. Sometimes, I even reserve 1/4 of the pepper and chop it to saute with garlic and onion. The rest is blended with the remaining ingredients to make the sauce.
My addition of brown sugar in the sauce ingredients might seem strange and you can feel free to skip it if your diet requires it, however it does make a difference and it gives the sauce that familiar taste we all know from our childhood.
If you are still looking for an easy dinner idea for this week, may I suggest Sloppy Joes? 😀 It’s quick and easy yet made from scratch.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ cup sweet yellow or red onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1 medium red bell pepper cored, seeds removed
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 8 oz . Can Tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons ketchup
- Place peppers, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, brown sugar and ketchup in a blender and blend for 20 seconds, scrape sides of blender, blend 20 more seconds. The sauce should be smooth.
- Heat up oil in a large skillet.
- Add garlic and onion and saute until onion is translucent.
- Add ground beef and cook until done.
- Add salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Stir in well.
- Add sauce and stir it well.
- Cook on medium heat until bubbly. Lower the heat and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve in buns.
Sloppy Joe Mac and Cheese from Taste and Tell
Sloppy Joe Cornbread Bake from Buns in my Oven
Sloppy Joe French Bread Pizza from Yellow Bliss Road