Slow Cooker Peach Crisp recipe – sweet peaches, sliced and tossed with vanilla, baked under oats and brown sugar topping that tastes just like oatmeal cookies! This is my favorite crock pot dessert for hot summer days! Served with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
For the last two weeks, temperatures here in Kansas are crazy high. We are at almost 100 degrees F every day. And there is no change in sight!
In other words – IT”S HOOOOOOTTTT!
Aaaand from what I can see on my weather app, so is most of the country. Which means that there is a high chance that just like me, you don’t want to turn on the oven. Mine has a “do not open” sign on it. Instead, my slow cooker is getting a work out (this Teriyaki Chicken is on a rotation!) and our grill is sizzling away (don’t mind if I have another helping of these Pineapple Chicken Kabobs!).
With a bounty of fresh summer fruit in our grocery stores and my sweet tooth cravings – I was in a need for a way to still make a dessert. Slow cooker to the rescue! It won’t heat up the house and still bake perfectly! It’s not a secret any more that you can make a fantastic dessert in a slow cooker! -> See below for more examples from my blogging friends! 😀
Tempted by gorgeous peaches on sale, I decided to make one of my favorite summer dessert: Peach Crisp! I love it because the topping tastes just like our favorite oatmeal cookies (minus raisins). YUM! I used firmer peaches for two reasons: we love to eat fresh ripe, juicy peaches so I don’t really have a chance to bake with them AND firmer peaches won’t totally break down into mush. I tossed the peach slices with lemon juice, vanilla and few tablespoons of brown sugar.
The topping is made of rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, baking powder, salt and butter. When baked – it tastes like oatmeal cookies! 😀 I served it with whipped cream and a dash of nutmeg but you can use vanilla ice cream.
- lbs about 2 peaches 5 medium (I used firmer ones - see post)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats (old fashioned not quick-cooking)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice optional but recommended
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter 1/2 stick
- Butter 5 to 7 quart slow cooker or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut each peach in half, remove pit and slice into 1/2" thick slices.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss peach slices with vanilla, lemon juice and brown sugar.
- Arrange on the bottom of slow cooker.
- In the same mixing bowl, stir together oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and allspice. Add butter and cut in with a fork or pastry cutter until the mixture comes together and resembles pea size clumps.
- Sprinkle topping over peach slices.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH setting for 3 hours. Remove lid, turn off slow cooker and let the crisp cool.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Slow Cooker Desserts recipes from other blogs:
Slow Cooker Brownie Pudding from Crazy for Crust
Slow Cooker Caramel Brownies from Taste and Tell
Slow Cooker Cinnamon Rolls from Sally’s Baking Addiction