The Best Pumpkin Coffee Cake – absolutely irresistible pumpkin cake! The cake is tender and moist and the crumb topping is sweet and crunchy thanks to crushed graham crackers!
You knew it will happen. After last year super successful and loved Best Apple Crumb Cake, I had to create the pumpkin version this year. It’s all you want in a pumpkin cake: the moist, tender crumb, perfect balance of spices and a crumb topping you could eat on it’s own.
This cake has it all.
And may I just add – it goes perfectly with a tall late or cappuccino OR a glass of red wine.
I don’t know why but I always pair my cakes, muffins, sweet breads or any other baked goods with something equally good to drink. With cakes it has usually been a creamy coffee drink. However, recently my Hubby brought a bottle of wine home and I just pulled this cake out of the oven. Later that day, (after all the pictures were taken) we enjoyed a few slices with the wine.
You guys, you HAVE to try this. The combination of spices from the cake and the red wine is absolutely amazing! It’s almost like spiced mulled wine but not hot. It screams fall to me and I am officially obsessed with it. So if you have guests coming and planning on serving this cake, add red wine to the menu. They will love it!
The success of this cake comes from two secret ingredients: my homemade (and may I just add – absolutely perfect) pumpkin pie spice AND graham cracker crumb topping. Yes, you read it right. I am using crushed graham crackers in the crumb topping which makes it irresistible and crazy good to nibble on. DO IT!
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs ( I used plain honey graham crackers)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoon unsalted butter, melted (if using salted, skip the additional 1/2 tsp salt), cooled to room temperature (not hot!)
- 2 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together both sugars, cinnamon, salt, flour and graham cracker crumbs. Add cooled, melted butter and stir with a fork until coarse crumbs form. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 13" x 9" baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt and pumpkin spice.
- In another bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, eggs, vanilla, oil and buttermilk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk together until smooth. Whisk for about a minute (I use a whisk but you can use a hand-held mixer).
- Pour the batter into prepared pan. Tap the pan against your counter to release any air bubbles.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping all over the surface of the cake batter, spreading it evenly.
- Bake the cake for 32 to 35 minutes OR until a toothpick inserted in few places near the center comes out clean.
- Cool to room temperature and slice.
You can half the recipe for a 8" x 8" baking pan.
~~~ I have another version of this cake coming to the blog soon, so stay tuned! ~~~
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet or #crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!
Pumpkin French Toast Bake