Homemade BBQ Sauce – sweet and smoky barbecue sauce that will take your grill game to the next level! Perfect for ribs, grilled chicken or wings, pulled pork or steak!
Besides the long and warm evenings and long pool days, ice cream for days, fresh berries filling our hands, biting into juicy peaches (juice running down our hands and all), grilling and barbecue is one of those things we always miss about summer. The smokey fragrance of meat sizzling on the hot grill is a sign of a feast. All you need is a chilled drink, a good side dish and an even better BBQ sauce.
This my friends is one fantastic BBQ sauce. It’s sweet and smoky and slightly spicy. It’s thick and perfect for brushing on ribs, brisket, grilled chicken or wings or mixing with pulled pork.
This recipe requires ingredients that most likely are already in your pantry and fridge. Some recipes for BBQ sauce that you can find on the internet use just ketchup as a base. I like to add a tomato sauce as well. I don’t want just ketchup with spices. I want a thick, sweet and smokey sauce with just the right amount of heat. For that you can choose between black pepper, cayenne pepper or even chipotle pepper (minced) or just adobo sauce. Each one will add more heat and kick to the sauce. Same with the sweetness in this recipe. I use a combination of brown sugar and molasses. I love the flavor and color the molasses adds to the sauce and helps make it thick quite fast. The brown sugar is a must for a sweet BBQ sauce fan, Kansas City style, like us. I highly recommended. If you don’t have molasses, increase the brown sugar amount or use the dark brown sugar.
- 1 cup and 1/2 ketchup
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 5 Tablespoons packed brown sugar light or dark
- 3 Tablespoons molasses I use Grandma's molasses brand
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon and 1/2 paprika
- 1 teaspoon and 1/2 garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1/2 teaspoon chipotle pepper minced or adobo sauce
- Place all ingredients in a small pot and whisk together.
- Bring to a boil over a medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Store in jar with lid (I use Mason jar) in the fridge for up to 1 week.
If you like this recipe and give it a try, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet or #crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!