Green Bean and Potato Salad with Bacon – simple yet delicious potato salad with green beans and mustard dressing. Perfect side for your BBQ dinners!
If there is one side dish that I love making for our weekend BBQ dinners, it’s always the potato salad. I have my beloved recipe from my Mom that I make not only during summer but for special occasions too. I also have a few that are so easy that my 8-year old can whip them up. Making salads for dinner has become her favorite part of helping in the kitchen. Be it simple greens and tomatoes Ranch salad, Daddy’s favorite Caesar salad, this Mango Peach Quinoa Salad, and now this Green Bean and Potato Salad.
But then there is bacon. Don’t we all know that bacon makes everything that much better? It does! I think it might have been the selling point of this salad to my Hubby. 🙂
Let’s talk about the dressing. I find that mustard based dressings are the best when it comes to potato salads. Skip the mayo for this simple dressing and even save on calories. All you need is just a few ingredients. You can use your favorite mustard. The standard would be Dijon but I am recently loving this Parmesan Cheese and Basil from Maille. It’s perfect for this salad!
You can serve this salad while it’s till warm or get the veggies and dressing ready ahead of time and stir them up just before serving. Freshly cooked bacon is the best obviously and I wouldn’t recommend bacon bits.
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons mustard Dijon or your favorite
- 1 teaspoon and 1/2 minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2,5 lbs to 3 red potatoes
- 12 oz fresh green beans washed, trimmed ends and halved
- 4 bacon strips cooked, crumbled or chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Place all ingredients in a jar with lid and shake well or in a small food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Wash potatoes. If large, cut into large chunks. If small, cut into wedges. Place in a pot filled with water and bring to a boil. Cook until fork-tender.
- Place trimmed and halved green beans in a pot with water and bring to a boil. Cook until fork-tender.
- In the meantime, bake bacon by placing the strips on a parchment paper or aluminum foil lined large baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in 400 degrees F, until crisp. Remove onto a paper towel lined plate and cool. Chop or crumble.
- When veggies are ready, strain and cool to room temperature. They still should be warm.
- Place vegetables in a large bowl. Add bacon. Pour the dressing over the salad and stir in gently to coat.
- Add green onions as garnish just before serving.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on Instagram! Tag me #crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out! 🙂