Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies – fudgy brownies topped with peanut butter. One fudgy, gooey treat for chocolate and peanut butter lovers!
I can imagine you are in a hurry right now, because the feature photo of this post is making you crazy for brownies.
Like omg-must-have-them-now crazy.
I know this feeling. I had a craving for brownies with peanut butter swirl for a while now and they just had to be made! One early morning, when our neighbors were leaving for work, I was gathering ingredients for these brownies and knew that I can have my treat in less than 40 minutes. Plus waiting-to-cool time. That’s the worst part.
So, how about fudgy brownies with peanut butter swirl to end the work week with? You can thank me later. 🙂
This recipe uses my new favorite brownie base. I used to always make this recipe for cocoa brownies that will come out dense and super fudgy. I did a little bit of research and looked at my old BB Monday series and created a new recipe that makes fudgy, yet light brownies with crackly top. The secret lays in whipping the eggs with sugar until thick (exactly 3 minutes). It will produce the crackly top that reminds us all about the box version of brownies.
These bars are now my new favorite and I don’t think I will be changing it for a long time.
The peanut butter swirl is nothing more than just warmed up smooth peanut butter swirled into a brownie batter just before baking. It melts over the top and adds even more gooey factor to this dessert.
The crackly top gives a slight crunch when you take a bite. The lightness of these brownies is deceiving as the are packed with chocolaty goodness! Each bite simply melts in your mouth. The peanut butter swirl makes a perfectly balanced combination of peanut butter and chocolate in each piece.
I suggest you find 40 minutes of free time and make these brownies today! No need to wait till the weekend!
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line an 8" square baking pan with parchment paper, overanging on the sides. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together oil and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, mix sugar and eggs with an electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract to the egg mixture and mix in.
- Add cocoa mixture and mix it in until smooth.
- Add flour and salt (I recommend sifting in right over the cocoa mixture) and fold in with a rubber spatula.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- In a microwave, warm up the peanut butter in a heat-proof dish.
- Drizzle the peanut butter in long, wide streaks over the brownie batter. Make swirls with a knife or offset spatula. Tap the pan against the counter to release all of the air bubbles that form on the surface.
- Bake the brownies for 22 to 25 minutes or until the top if crackly and dry (the peanut butter will be melty).
- Cool completely in the pan.
- Remove the brownies from pan using the overhanging sides of the paper.
- Place on a cutting board and slice.