Philly Cheese Steak Cheesy Bread – easy cheesy bread with Philly cheese steak topping! Great snack or dinner idea!
Aaaaand it happened again. My Hubby and I went on it again and made yet another version of our highly popular Easy Cheesy Garlic Bread. The Jalapeno Popper and Pizza versions became a success too so let’s do it again! Philly cheese steak style!
Honestly though, my Hubby has been dreaming about this bread for weeks now. It just had to be done! Boy, is it awesome! My Hubby has some amazing ideas when it comes to savory food, I tell ya!
This version is so good and so filling that it actually was a dinner for the two of us (our kiddos don’t like peppers). We kept all of the layers of a Philly cheese steak sandwich: the beef steak, the peppers and onions and the cheese sauce.
Yes, we made a cheese sauce. From scratch. And it’s so crazy easy, you will want to put it on everything! Could this be our favorite version of the Cheesy Bread?
This bread comes together really quickly, even with the made-from-scratch cheese sauce. Actually, it’s the easiest cheese sauce ever! It would be perfect for mac and cheese since it’s made the same way. Hmm, come to think of it, a Philly cheese steak mac and cheese should totally happen (wink wink, Hubbs! 🙂 ).
We started with toasting butter-brushed bread halves. In the meantime, we cook the sliced steak. Then, in the same pan, we cook peppers and onions adding a little bit of water and scraping the bottom of the pan so all of the steak goodness coats the veggies. SO GOOD! We make the cheese sauce in a saucepan, starting with melted butter and adding milk and cornstarch mixture that will thicken and become the base for the sauce. Then just add the Parmesan and Provolone cheese and cook until melted. Top the toasted bread with the meat and veggies, spread the cheese sauce (it will be thick) on top and return the whole thing into the oven for 10 minutes. To get the brown spots on the cheese, we placed the bread under a broiler set on low, for just 2 minutes.
This Philly Cheese Steak Cheesy Bread is so good! You will love how easy it is to make and how absolutely delicious it is!
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
SHARE ON FACEBOOK
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 6 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
- 6 slices Provolone cheese chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Italian loaf bread
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 lb beef steak sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced green pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup water
- Slice the bread lengthwise. Place both halves, inside up, on a baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt 1/2 cup of butter in a microwave safe cup.
- Brush the bread with melted butter.
- Toast the bread in the oven for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet. Add sliced meat and cook until done.
- Transfer the meat onto a plate.
- Add pepper and onion slices into the pan. Cook until they start to brown, about 2 minutes. Stir often.
- Add the water and cook the veggies until most of the water evaporates and the veggies are soft. Scrape the bottom of the pan often.
- !to make the cheese sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over a medium heat.
- In a large measuring cup, mix together milk and cornstarch.
- Add to the melted butter and cook, whisking constantly, until thicken.
- Add both cheeses and cook, stirring constantly, until the cheese is completely melted.
- Remove from the heat. It will be thick.
- Top the toasted bread with meat, peppers and onions and then the cheese sauce.
- Return to the oven and bake for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the cheese sauce starts to bubble.
- You can place the bread under a broiler on low setting, for 2 to 3 minutes, watching it the whole time. As soon as first brown spots start to appear, it will brown quickly. Pull it out of the oven as soon as it reaches the desired look. Place on a cutting board.
- Let the bread sit on a cutting board for 10 minutes. Slice and serve.