Creamy Lemon Asparagus Pasta – perfect weeknight dish to welcome the Spring! Comes together in under 30 minutes!
Simple dishes are sometimes exactly what you need. Light, flavorful yet still comforting.
With plenty of Spring-y, fresh flavors to shake off the cold, dark winter days.
So let’s talk about a little bit about the main starts of this dish: asparagus and lemons. Both are currently in season and both came in my Door to Door Organics box. I had a feeling they would go well together in a simple pasta dish. I based this recipe on my Creamy Garlic Mushroom Pasta. I switched the veggies and used only milk.
This is a vegetarian meal, but you can add cooked chopped chicken or serve it along side with roasted chicken breast or piece.
Asparagus – winter vegetable with anti-inflammatory benefits, contains antioxidants, rich in folic acid and fiber (source: Michigan Asparagus Advisory Board). And it’s one of the prettiest vegetables out there.
Meyer Lemons – a cross between regular lemons and oranges (or mandarins), which gives them more sweeter flavor and less acidic. Named after Frank Nicholas Meyer, a USDA employee who brought a sample to the U.S. from China.
Two beautiful and healthy ingredients that complement each other so well, especially in light pasta dishes. The fresh flavors make this dish perfect for welcoming the Spring.
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
SHARE ON FACEBOOK
- 6 oz bow tie pasta uncooked
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 10 to 15 pieces asparagus spears washed, trimmed, cut into 2"
- 1 clove garlic minced
- zest from half Meyer or regular lemon
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to the instructions on the package. Drain and keep warm.
- In a large skillet, heat up oil over a medium heat.
- Add asparagus and saute until soft, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir it in. Cook for 30 seconds.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together milk and cornstarch.
- Add the milk mixture to the sauteed asparagus, gradually, 1/4 of a cup at a time, stirring constantly. Let the sauce thicken before adding more milk. Repeat until you use all the milk.
- Add lemon zest and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add pasta and toss to coat it with the sauce.
- Serve warm.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀