I think I’ve stated my love for all things retro here on the blog. Call me sentimental (or not), but I so wish we lived in the 50’s. The clothes, the hair, the music, the colors! I <3 it all! We would rock’n’roll in those cute diners and afterwards have huge parfaits from the ice cream shop!
Each time we remodel something in our house, I am trying to figure out how to apply the retro theme yet make it modern. Or do those two just not mix? On the other hand, you can see the retro style coming back. The KitchenAid mixers never looked better in modern kitchens. Ruffle edge cake stands add even more retro flair. And how about these adorable 1950’s housewife aprons we see everywhere? I feel naturally drawn to those things.
And then my Hubby would take me to a drive-in theater. Don’t you just miss those?
So the Memorial Day weekend is approaching and the pools will open. It’s like the unofficial start to summer. I am guessing a lot of you are thinking about fitting into your swim suits. I thought I would share a few skinny recipes this week. None of them lack in flavor or the delicious factor.
Let’s start with a drink, since water is a crucial part of any diet and healthy living in general. This is one of my favorite ways to drink water. Agua Fresca – incredibly easy and satisfying beverage you can make in just minutes. All you need is fruit and water.
I love this Strawberry Agua Fresca! Perfect to sip on a hot day by the pool! Besides strawberries are such a retro fruit to me. Don’t you think?
- 6 large ones, washed and hulled
- ½ c water
- ½ c ice cubes (plus additional for glasses)
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar (optional; personal preference)
- 2 to 3 c cold water (more or less, depends on your likings)
- Place clean and hulled strawberries and ½ cup of water in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- You can run the mixture through a sieve if you don't want the strawberry seeds in your agua fresca.
- Add ice cubes and the remaining water and sugar (if using) and blend until smooth.
- Fill glasses and serve with additional ice cubes.
- Chill leftovers.
Other delicious drink recipes:
Make sure to come back tomorrow! Two words: fun giveaway!
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. If you follow the link I may make few dollars, which always helps with buying ingredients for more sweet treats like this. Thank you!