Mother’s Day is almost here!
What are your plans? I asked this question in our Sucré giveaway (btw, go enter if you haven’t already!!) and looks like a lot of you have some fabulous plans to celebrate! Yay!
Last year I wrote a very emotional for me post on Mother’s Day. You can check it out here. This year though it’s going to be cheery and fun! Spring weather is finally here (after the major snow storm on the first day of May…), birds are chirping, our newly planted grass is growing fabulously and I got a peak of baby squirrels living in our backyard tree! It’s a perfect time to pack the picnic basket, filled with goodies and head to the park! And that’s just what we did!
When thinking about easy yet delightful treat for your picnic basket, scones come to my mind. They are easy, you can pack them with chocolate chips or raisins and bake in no time. I sprinkled the tops with additional oats. They toasted deliciously during baking! Spread them with your favorite jam or preserves and you have a perfect picnic/brunch treat!
And what better way to enjoy these with a set of naturally made gourmet jams and preserves straight from a gorgeous jam jar?
For this year’s Mother’s Day celebration, I am partnering with one of my favorite companies to bring you today’s giveaway! The wonderful Le Creuset provides the oh-so-adorable Jam Jar in the gorgeous cherry red color! And this year they are partnering with Bonne Maman, a company that makes delightful jams and preserves, with no artificial sweeteners, preservatives or high fructose corn syrup. Don’t they all make for a fabulous setting?
Mother’s Day Picnic: Oatmeal Raisin Scones
Fabulous brunch or breakfast idea! These easy oatmeal crusted raisin scones are perfect for Mother's Day! Spread them with your favorite jam and enjoy!
- 1/2 c old-fashioned oats (or 1/2 c whole wheat or all-purpose flour *see note)
- 1 and 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c butter, cold, straight from the fridge
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 c raisins
- for egg wash:
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp orange juice, half and half, cream or milk
- additional oats for sprinkling on top (optional)
- In a food processor, pulse the oats for 20 seconds, until they look like whole wheat flour, but not totally pulverized. It should make almost 1/2 c of coarse oat flour. ( You can skip this step if using whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour; *see note).
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together grinned oats, flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Grate chilled butter right over the dry ingredients. Cut in with pastry cutter or use your fingers to combine everything to coarse crumbs.
- Add raisins to butter flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together egg and buttermilk. Add to dry ingredients and stir just until all is combined.
- Dust counter top or large silicone pastry mat with flour. Place dough onto the surface. Pat into a 1 inch thick disk. Fold the dough like letter. Pat down into 1 inch thick disk again. With a floured 2 and 1/2 inch biscuit cutter, cut out scones. Place on prepared sheet. Gently gather the remaining dough into a disk without kneading it. Cut out more biscuits. Use this way all the dough.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolk and orange juice (or half and half, cream or milk). Brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash. Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of oats on top of each brushed scone.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the tops are golden and start to brown around the edges.
- Cool on sheet for 2 minutes, transfer onto cooling rack to cool completely.
Notes: I decided to grind 1/2 cup of oats and substitute 1/2 of a cup of the flour called for in the original recipe. You can skip this step and use only all-purpose flour (2 cups total) or use 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour instead the oat flour.
Copyright 2011-2013 CrunchyCreamySweet.com
I took this photo after our picnic with leftover scones. The lighting was gorgeous and I just couldn’t help myself. I love the glowing light that fills our backyard when the sun is setting…. It will remind me of the gorgeous day we spent and the fabulous picnic we enjoyed!
Now for the giveaway!
Win One Jam Jar from Le Creuset (yep, like the adorable one in my photos!!) and a set of Two Jars of Jams and Preserves from Bonne Maman!!!
Enter the giveaway using the rafflecopter widget below. It may take a moment to load up, so please, be patient.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
One (1) winner will receive a One (1) Jam Jar from Le Creuset and a set of Two (2) Jars of Jams and Preserves from Bonne Maman. You have to 18 years or older to enter. US residents only. The giveaway will run from May 9th 12AM. ECT till May 16th 12AM. ECT. The winner will be notified by email and announced here on the post. The winner will have 48 to respond or another winner will be selected.This giveaway is sponsored by Le Creuset and Bonne Maman. I have not been compensated. All opinions are 100% my own