Strawberry Shortcakes – a classic dessert that everyone loves!
Apparently Mother Nature doesn’t like my idea of Spring Fever. We woke up to over 10 inches of snow. It unabashedly crept up on us last night. The kids are happy and have huge plans for making a snowman this afternoon, but to me it means being stuck in the house for at least three days. With three little kids. With cabin fever. You do get where I am going with this, right? 🙂
So how do I deal with this? I bake. And lots. Thank goodness for this blog, or my Hubby would have to call for help. At least I have an excuse: it’s for the blog, sweetie. 🙂
I grabbed a couple of containers of strawberries in the store last week. They instantly remind me of Spring, blooming trees and nice warm weather.
I have been meaning to make shortcakes for a long time now and they finally happened.
Strawberry Shortcakes. A classic treat that’s incredibly easy to make and satisfying in looks and taste.
Delicious shortcakes, fresh strawberry slices and a generous dollop of whipped cream. Yeah, I will get through this Winter blast.
Strawberry Shortcakes - a classic dessert that everyone loves!
- 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 c unsalted butter cubed and chilled
- 1 beaten egg
- 2/3 c milk
- whipped cream
- 8 to 10 large strawberries
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat like Silpat. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, flour and baking powder.
- Add butter and cut in with a pastry cutter.
- In a small mixing bowl or measuring cup, mix together egg and milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon just until moistened.
- Drop the dough onto prepared sheet by 2 heaping tablespoons, leaving at least 2 inches space between each mound. If you want flatter shortcakes, flour your hands and gently flatten each mound of dough to about 1/2 inch thick disks.
- Bake for 10 to 14 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool shortcakes on baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To assemble strawberry shortcakes: slice each shortcake horizontally. Slice one strawberry and place slices on the bottom part of your cake. Add dollop of whipped cream. Top with remaining piece of shortcake. Decorate with a small dollop of whipped cream and shaved chocolate.