I probably should explain myself and the lack of posts in the past week. I apologize for the silence. Things have been pretty busy behind the scenes, here at Crunchy Creamy Sweet. New projects and fun events are being planned. Lots of great recipes and surprises coming your way, so stay tuned. 🙂
When these little bundt cakes came out of the oven and then out of their pan, I was so excited I shared a photo of them on facebook. They were so adorable! I couldn’t believe how easily they came out of the pan. If you ever tried to make a bundt cake you know how stressful it can be. Will it come out in one piece? Will it stick to the pan? Will it have holes or missing pieces?
But these mini bundt cakes were perfect.
Grapefruit is the new star in the citrus family and according to Bon Appetit’s article on food trends for 2013, rightly so. By the way, so are blondies and Sriracha ( I have become totally obsessed with this sauce ).
So if you are looking for a way to enjoy grapefruit this season or simply have tons of it sitting on your counter staring at you and begging to be turned into something delicious – make these little bundt cakes.
You can use this recipe to make one large 10-cup bundt cake or 10 mini bundt cakes. I used my standard recipe for buttermilk bundt cake. It’s my very favorite to date. It makes a 10-cup bundt but this time I used this Mini Bundt Cake Pan from Nordic Ware and still have leftover for 4 more mini bundts (I baked it in regular size bundt pan and got a great bundt cake but not as tall as you would using the whole recipe). I will be posting a recipe scaled down to exactly 6 mini bundt cakes soon.
Yields ten mini bundt cakes or one large bundt cake
A little sunshine in the midst of Winter - grapefruit bundt cakes with glaze. Perfect for afternoon treat!
20 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 3 c all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 c granulated sugar
- 1 c vegetable or canola oil
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp grapefruit zest
- 3 Tbsp grapefruit juice
- 1 c buttermilk or sour milk
- for glaze:
- 1 c confectioners' sugar
- 2 Tbsp grapefuit juice
- Grease well and generously flour your bundt pan. Set aside.
- If making sour milk, place 3 tablespoons of grapefruit juice and 1 teaspoon of white vinegar in a small measuring cup. Add milk to make 1 cup of liquid total.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer, mix together oil and sugar for 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time and mix well a medium speed ( 2 minutes ). Reduce speed to low and leave the mixer running, while you prepare the dry ingredients: in a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Set next to your mixer, along with buttermilk/sour milk.
- Add vanilla and grapefruit zest to egg mixture. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with buttermilk/sour milk.
- Mix the batter on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Divide batter into prepared bundt pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes for mini bundt cakes or 1 hour for a large bundt cake. Toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and carefully flip the pan over a large plate.
- Cool completely before glazing.
- For the glaze: whisk sifted powdered sugar with grapefruit juice until smooth Pour over cakes.