Remember when I said I want to make more hot drinks this month? Well, here is one of them. And boy, is it good!
I usually bake in the afternoons. In Winter time I develop a routine, where I first set the kettle on and start to pull out my baking ingredients. Then I make my tea and sip it while dancing around the kitchen to Pandora tunes. Baking is fun that way!
Last week I run out of my usual tea of choice, which is Celestial Seasonings Peppermint Tea. Black tea had to do. Then I decided it was pretty bland and needed some oomph.
Enter Chocolate Chai.
Perfect blend of spices with the addition of cocoa and semi-sweet chocolate. Hello deliciousness!
You will want to use the biggest mug you have for this one. It is so good! The mix of cinnamon, ginger and cloves is probably my favorite during the cold months. And not only for cookies or cakes. It’s perfect to make your own chai at home. Don’t forget the milk froth!
- 2 bags black tea
- ½ c water
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 c milk
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar or 2 packets sugar substitute
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp cardamom
- 1½ Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a medium saucepan, place tea bags, water and cinnamon and bring to boil. Remove from the stove and let sit covered for 5 minutes. Discard tea bags.
- Add milk, sugar, vanilla and spices. Whisk to combine. Add cocoa powder and whisk again.
- Add chocolate chips and return the saucepan onto the stove. Cook until heated through and the chocolate has melted. Do not boil.
- Serve hot with the addition of milk froth.
What is your favorite hot drink during the cold Winter months?